– If the ship has a hangar, 60 to 75% of the total polycount should be spent on the external aspect of the ship. The rest should be spent on the hangars / garages.
- 如果飞船有机库，那么60%~75%的多边形数量都应该用在船外部外观。剩下的应该用在机库 / 泊位。
– Split the ship in objects to reach a good balance between dimensions and polycount. Unless animated, there should be no object with less than a few thousand polygons. For massive ships, split the ship along its major axis (usually the length) in sections (one section = one object) of 10-20K polygons each.
- 把船拆分为对象来使多边形数与模型尺寸相适应。除了运动的对象，其他对象的多边形数应不少于几千。对于重型船，把船沿主轴（通常是沿前后方向）上分开成每段（一段 = 一个对象）1-2万多边形的多个对象。
Remember that each object you add has some performance overhead associated to it. The smaller a ship is, the lower the total number of objects it should use.
– If your ship is modular, try to use one object per module (animated objects excluded of course).
– Use a large amount of polygons in the details, but don't forget to spend polygons on the curved surfaces too.
– Circular elements (like thrusters, hardpoints or pipes) should have a fairly balanced amount of segments. Remember to make this amount of segments a function of the radius of the element: a small 50-cm pipe should not get 24 segments, and a 60-m hardpoint should not get 8 segments.
– Check your mesh, don't forget to fix all gaps or holes in the mesh. They might be hardly visible when the camera is far from the ship, but it's very possible for a player to use a vehicle or a small fighter and fly close to the hull of a massive ship: he should not be able to go through gaps and end up in the “inside”.
– If the ship doesn't have landing gears, it should have at least one garage or hangar. This is necessary so that players can use shuttles to land on planets while keeping their main ship in space orbit. Please read the hangars / garages section for more informations.
- 如果船没有起落架，那它至少需要一个机库或泊位。以便玩家可以让他们的主舰停留在太空轨道上，用穿梭船降落到行星上。请阅读机库 / 泊位部分以获得更多信息。
– Thrusters must have a circular shape (see section about thrusters).